Sunday, August 9, 2009

home

I grew up in Harveys Lake, Pennsylvania, the largest natural lake entirely contained in the state. (I didn't actually grow up in the lake, however, just nearby). I haven't been home since January, and I miss my mama and my daddy-o and my brother and Fred. Things I like about going home:


Freddie, our adopted cat, who has a very large head and is kind of dumb and likes to follow my father around and is very spoiled.


The garden, where we spend most of our time munching, relaxing, weeding, trellising, drinking beers. This is last summer, and my father reports that heavy rain has made it a bit of a mud pit this season.


My mothers indoor plants which create tiny jungles on our decks and porches.


"The girls," whose various generations we have watched unfold as they crunch our orchard apples, crab apples, chestnuts, mulberries, etc.


Raspberries from the bush, sweet tea with garden mint.


The way the cucumbers curl and cling.


The aluminum watering cans which Freddie likes to drink from.


Hiding in the garden. And the green rolling hills of the Appalachians.

No comments: